From juice cleanses to foot detox baths, body detoxification seems to be hitting the height of popularity. However, very few people are actually familiar with how to begin detoxing, the purpose behind it, and the benefits it can offer when done correctly. The human body is constantly exposed to toxins from our environment and what we ingest. For the most part, our internal organs and lymphatic system do a superb job of filtering these toxins and flushing them out of our bodies. However, they can also buildup over time and lead to a number of health concerns from chronic illness, to weight gain, to feeling downright sluggish.
Undertaking a detoxification program can be a great step to improving health and feeling better overall. For anyone who has considered giving detox a try but has hesitated for any reason, we have compiled a list of the top 5 reasons you should give it a shot:
- Enhance the Immune System – Our immune systems work hard to protect us from the countless bacteria we encounter each day. However, our immunity can begin to suffer when our bodies have an overload of toxins to deal with as well. Purging these can be the equivalent of getting an oil change in your car. Without all of that sluggish toxin buildup, your immune system can once again function like the fine-tuned machine it is intended to be.
- Keep Chronic Illness at Bay – Of course there is a genetic component to chronic illnesses such as cancers or heart disease, but it actually plays a much smaller role in the development of these conditions than most people realize. A far larger impact is had by the toxins we are exposed to throughout our lifetimes. Detoxification can help push the reset button on illnesses that may develop from prolonged toxin exposure.
- Lose Weight – An overload of toxins inhibits the natural fat-burning capabilities of our bodies. Aside from aesthetic reasons that lead many of us to want to lose weight, carrying extra pounds can contribute to conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
- Increase Energy – Weight gain, lackluster bodily functions, and emotional stress all can result from toxins and all may dramatically impact our energy levels. When each of these begins to improve after detoxification, so will energy.
- Skin Improvements – From premature aging to acne, toxins lurking inside can reveal themselves on the skin’s surface. In addition to smoothing and clearing skin, removing these toxins can also lead to stronger, healthier hair and nails.
When done correctly, detoxification offers a wide range of benefits that anyone would like to experience. However, it is a matter of understanding your body, the detoxification process, and how to go about it safely and correctly. If you missed our recent Detoxification Workshop at SouthEast Chiropractic: The Motion Centers, it isn’t too late. Contact our office to schedule an initial consultation to discuss this and other options to improve your health. You can also view our upcoming workshop calendar here and take advantage of these free and informative opportunities. We hope to see you there.